Recipe Name: Crème Caramel
Milk – 1 litre
Vanilla bean – 1 stick
Sugar – 120 grams for the centre; 200 grams for the caramel
Whole Eggs – 400 grams
Egg yolk – 100 grams
Pre-heat the oven to 140◦ C
Prepare 10 ramequin molds and 1 deep sheet pan
- In a sauce pan caramelize the sugar until it reaches a medium-dark caramel colour.
- Divide the caramel evenly between the ramequin moulds and set aside.
- Split the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and place in the sauce pan. Add the milk and sugar then bring to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and scrape out the seeds from the vanilla bean.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs lightly. Add the milk slowly and be careful not to cook the eggs when pouring in the warm milk too quickly.
- Pour the milk and egg mixture evenly into the ramequin moulds.
- Prepare a water bath by laying a paper towel or newspaper in the bottom of the sheet pan, then place the ramekin moulds in the pan.
- Fill the pan with water until the water rises halfway up the ramequin moulds.
- Bake at 140 degrees Celsius for minutes and watch that the water in the pan never comes to a boil.
- Remove from the pan from the oven and take the ramequin moulds from the water.
- Cool the creme caramels then refrigerate.
- Once chilled, run the blade of a knife around the ramekins, invert and serve cold.